The six acre walled garden in its present form dates from the mid 18th century, with new heated walls and an Orangery added before 1800.
The present layout partitions the garden into 4 separate compartments, The 2 larger of these now restored and planted, the 3rd restricted to Greenhouses and sheds with vegetables and cut flowers with the 4th and smallest providing further storage and poultry runs.
The restoration was based on a delight in and a wish to concentrate on a short season display of Clematis and Roses supported by complimentary herbaceous planting, this offset by a less formal area of ornamental trees and shrubs to increase year round interest.
The old apple trees have been used as host to clematis and climbing roses with the walls all rewired for the same purpose. Arches and Obelisks have been added to give interest and scale.
The photographs below show a little of this.